Like many newer vehicles the 2016 CX-5
- Daytime running lights (DRL) have quickly become standard on many new vehicles.
- Don't need to be turned on and off
- A car with lights on is easier to spot
- From a safety standpoint there are no downsides
Why the Lights Fail ∞
- The LED daytime running lights have problems with the sealing gaskets attached to the wiring connectors for the lights.
- Mazda says the gaskets release sulfer that corrodes the LED circuits
- Damaged circuits cause the lights to flicker and eventually fail
Why that's a problem ∞
- There's no warning about this problem happening. No indicator on the console to let drivers know there is a problem.
- The lights tend to flicker on and off at first and a driver might not notice.
- Tend to fail after the standard 36,000-mile warranties run out
- Super expensive to replace. There is no seperate bulb in the headlight assembly which means the whole assembly needs to be replaced.
- State laws, stipulate car headlight use only when wipers are in use
++ Because keeping track of state laws can be difficult, owning a car with automatic headlights (which turn on when it’s dark) as well as daytime running lights (which use a low beam headlight during the day) can be handy.
- Vehicles won't pass state inspections
- Proven to cut down on daytime accidents
Class Action Lawsuits ∞
- Filed at the end of 2019
- Expensive out-of-pocket repair
- Parts on backorder because they're all failing at once.
- Kidd, et al., v. Mazda Motor of America, Inc. in California
Mazda Issues Recall ∞
- Issued in February 2020, set to begin on March 6th, 2020.
- 2016 CX-5 only
- 36,700 in the USA, nearly 7,000 in Canada
- Mazda will replace the sealing gaskets and add anti-corrosion materials. In some cases they'll replace the entire unit.
Mazda Generations Where This Problem Happens
This problem has been reported by owners of the following generations. While there's no guarantee it affects all the listed model years, most years within a generation share the same parts, manufacturing processes, and problems.
- 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016